Duties And Responsibilities
& Minimum Requirements: ||
Georgetown University Library is seeking a Systems Programmer Analyst to help expand access to information through library technology. The Systems Programmer Analyst will report to both the Sr. Applications Programmer and the Sr. Systems Administrator at the Georgetown University Library. This position will provide the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to develop and deepen skills in both software development and systems operations.
The Systems Programmer Analyst:
- Helps develop, program and manage library technologies needed to support the library’s applications and infrastructure
- Assists and works with the Sr. Applications Programmer in planning, designing, coding, and maintaining the library’s technology applications
- Integrates software components into the library’s applications and ensures software interoperability among the library’s different applications
- Is responsible for developing and coding scripts and other programs that would alleviate manual workflows for other library staff using the library applications.
- Where possible, the Systems Programmer Analyst will share code and contribute to open source projects supporting the library community.
- In addition, he/she assists and works with the Sr. Systems Administrator to support the library’s technology infrastructure which includes operations of the library’s physical servers and virtual environments.
- The Systems Programmer Analyst is also involved in the administration of the library’s applications and systems developments
- Helps in the setup of test environments and configures virtual environments
- Assists in backup processes and securing the servers and virtual environments from unauthorized access
- Is involved in scripting/ programming needed to automate tasks.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- The ideal candidate would possess two to three years of work experience with system implementation, web development, programming and development of applications.
- Experience with XHTML, HTML, CSS, XML and/or XSL.
- A passion for both systems administration and software development, work experience in a university environment, and work experience with open source software used by the library community are all highly desirable.
- Commitment to the use and promotion of alternative as well as traditional means of access to information.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and communication skills; ability to work effectively with a team.
- Demonstrated commitment to risk-taking.
- Ability to be flexible, open-minded, and comfortable with changing responsibilities and duties as new and additional needs emerge.
- Proven ability to help design and develop web based applications in a project driven environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
In their cover letter for this position, applicants should describe their software development and systems administration experience.